Keeping your air ducts clean is an important part of your and your family’s health. Over time, your home’s ductwork accumulates air pollutants that can be irritating to your body and may cause health issues if not treated. Pollutants in your heating and cooling system can include mold, bacteria, pollen, tobacco smoke, pet hair and dust mites. While these irritants can be filtered out of your airways, failure to clean your home’s ductwork can result in dusty and polluted air entering your home.
Keeping your air ducts and vents clean is a simple way to avoid circulating polluted air throughout your home. It is important for families to be aware of the signs and signals of air duct and vent buildup so that they know when it is time to have ductwork professionally cleaned. Five signs that you need air duct cleaning in Des Moines, IA include the following:
- You see dust coming from your vents: Any time you see debris coming from your ventilation system, it is a signal that you need to have your air ducts cleaned. When buildup is present in your ducts, dust or other materials may blow out of your vents at the moment your heat or air conditioning turns on. If you see this in your home, call an air duct cleaning professional immediately
- You can’t remember when your last cleaning was: As a homeowner, it’s important to know that your air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years. If you can’t remember the last time your heating and cooling system was serviced, chances are you are overdue for a cleaning. Make a note of your cleanings in a calendar, or ask your cleaning service to remind you when you’re due for your next appointment.
- Your home recently underwent construction: Construction and remodeling projects within your home create excess dust and air pollutants for your ventilation system to filter. After construction, schedule a cleaning to ensure your family isn’t breathing in leftover sawdust or debris from the project.
- Your family’s allergies are acting up: If you notice an uncharacteristic uptick in your family members’ allergies, it could be a sign that your air ducts need to be cleaned. Outdoor allergens, pet dander and mold can all inhabit your ventilation system. If your allergies seem to be more than just seasonal sneezing, it is wise to have a professional come to remove any irritants from your ducts.
- You have recently purchased a home: Unless the former owners explicitly mentioned when they last had their air ducts serviced, it is safe to assume that your new house is due for a cleaning. Cleaning your air ducts and vents is a safe way to start a healthy life in your new home.
If your home could benefit from air duct cleaning in Des Moines, IA, contact a local vent cleaning service today. The experienced professionals at Air Xchange Duct Cleaning would be happy to provide you with more information on a wide range of duct cleaning services.